10 Tips for Novel Writing
1. You need to write every day so as not to lose the story.
1a. You must move forward every day even if you are revising as you go.
2. Start figuring out the structure of the novel as soon as possible.
3. You won’t start getting into your book until you are at 20,000 words – the commitment has been made; things start to make sense.
4. Always keep your focus on the sentences, paragraphs, and the scene being written, not on what you will write.
4a.Don’t look too far back or too far ahead.
4b. Know where you’re going, but pretend not to look at it.
5. Beautiful writing and intense intelligence can always salvage a plot.
6. “This is the last book you will write.”
7. You must treat your minor characters as well as you treat your major characters.
8. It’s okay if you do not accomplish what you tried to accomplish.
8a. If the story must die, let it.
9. Respect readers’ intelligence, life experiences, and time.
10. Feel more.
Have any questions? Comment.
- Top 6 Writing Tips (floweringkeyboard.wordpress.com)
- 10 Easy Tips to Develop Your Own Writing Style (successful-blog.com)
- 11 Bits of Wisdom From Doris Lessing, On Reading, Writing, and Life (huffingtonpost.com)
- 25 tips to punch up your writing (prdaily.com)